Frequently Asked Questions

I’m from a country outside of Europe, can I apply?

Non-European candidates can apply. There is no distinction made on nationality. For this programme, students are expected to change country. The only restriction is the H2020 MSCA mobility rule which applies only to students already living in Finland, or who lived here in the past 3 years.

I am already living in Finland, or have already lived in Finland, can I apply?

All the candidates should fulfil the mobility requirement of the MSCA actions, I.e., at the time of recruitment, ESRs must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies) in Finland for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately before 5 June 2022. Compulsory national service and/or short stays such as holidays are not considered

Do I need to move to Finland?

Yes, you do.

Neuro-Innovation is COFUND programme of Marie Skłodowska-Curie Action that encourages researchers for transnational, intersectoral and interdisciplinary mobility. COFUND programmes encourage the movement of researchers across borders and provide good working conditions.

The Early Stage Researchers who will be selected to Neuro-Innovation programme will work at the UEF Kuopio campus.

Learn more about the UEF Kuopio campus

Learn more about the City of Kuopio

Learn more about PhD studies in Finland, provided by FindAUniversity Ltd.

MSCA coronavirus information

What is the duration of PhD research?

The duration of each PhD student training period will typically be 48 months, with registration of the PhD student at the University of Eastern Finland.

I have already a CV but in different form. May I use it?

No, you may not because we want to keep the applications as comparable as possible. Please follow the CV instructions and use the provided template.

How much is the salary?

ESR positions are based on full-time study for four years at the UEF Kuopio campus. The salary of the positions is based on the salary system for the teaching and research staff at universities. The salary consists of the job-related salary element and the personal performance salary element. For these positions, the job requirement level used to determine the job-related salary element is 2–4 (2078,27 – 2591,28 €) and the personal performance salary element is 6–50 % of the job-related salary element. The estimated monthly salary in the beginning of the employment will be 2288,17 - 3163,95 € per month. The salary of an ESR depends on the phase of the doctoral dissertation and postgraduate studies as well as personal performance.

In Finland, the salary is paid once a month to a bank account.

When will ESRs start their PhD projects and is the date flexible?

ESRs will start their studies at UEF 1.10.2022-1.1.2023.

Is it possible to apply if one of the requested document is missing?

All required documents on the application form must be provided before the deadline.

Can I access and modify my submitted application before the deadline of the call?

Yes, you can.

Will I receive a confirmation of receipt that you received my application?

Yes, you will receive a confirmation by email.

When will I hear about my application?

You will be contacted, either to invite you to an interview (in person onsite or remotely by video conferencing), or to inform you that your application was rejected. This notification is expected within 12 weeks of the application deadline.

What if I have an enquiry about my application?

We kindly ask that if you have a query that you check the Guide for Applicants and this FAQ first. Additionally, further details can be found in the PhD project descriptions in this website.  If, having read through all the guidance available to you, you are still unclear only then you can send a message by email to
Please bear in mind that we may be receiving a high volume of enquiries and there may be a delay in responding.

Can I work freely in Finland? Will I need a visa and/or residence permit??

Employees coming from the Nordic Countries (Denmark, Iceland, Norway and Sweden) are allowed to arrive and work without residence permits or visas in Finland.

Citizens of the member states of the European Union (EU) and the European Economic Area (EEA) do not need a residence permit either. However, if you are staying in Finland for longer than three months (90 days) you must register your right to reside in Finland at your local police station in Finland.

Citizens from the non-EU/EEA countries usually need to obtain a visa or a residence permit / residence permit for employed persons before their arrival in Finland.

I have worked in a research organization, but not in a research position. Is this counted as a "research career"?

No, it isn't. The main responsibilities of each work experience are asked in the electronic application form.