Sustainable energy is a broad context covering the fields such as energy efficiency, low carbon energy, bioenergy and smart grids. Planning and operation of future sustainable energy systems can be increasingly supported by novel computational techniques and tools, which utilise information from different datasets. In our research group we are focusing in developing and applying various techniques such as computational intelligence, statistical methods, GIS, LCA/LCC and process modelling to analyse and model complex energy and waste related problems. In parallel with that we are using software engineering to demonstrate solutions for end-users.
The most recent projects in this area include
- Regional Mobilizing of Sustainable Waste-to-Energy Production, EU Baltic Sea Region Programme (REMOWE, 2008-2012)
- Implementing Advanced Concepts for Biological Utilization of Waste, EU Baltic Sea Region Programme, (ABOWE, 2012-2014)
- Smart Grids and Energy Markets (SGEM, 2010-2014)
- Future Flexible Energy Systems (FLEXe, 2015-2016)
- Enhancing energy efficiency by the means of the energy companies, (ENETE, 2008-2010)
- Applying Forest Planning and Environmental Informatics in Bioenergy Economy (Mysli, 2007–2010)
- Intelligent Information System for Waste Management
In the EU-funded REMOWE project (http://remowe.eu), the concept of regional modeling has been under development and testing. At general level, the regional modelling can be seen as an integration of different geographically referenced (GIS) databases and models to one system for a limited geographic area. A well constructed regional modelling system is the composition of:
- geographic information system (GIS)
- models (such as process/LCA/GIS based models)
- algorithms (such as sensitivity analysis, multi-criteria analysis, ranking and optimization)
- computing engine
- user interface
Using the regional modeling quantized georeferenced measures (such as production potential, costs and climate impacts) can be produced. Thus, it serves as a sort of multi-objective decision support system (DSS) that provides means for operational and strategist decision-making committed by different stake-holders.