Who can apply?
According to the Universities Act (558/2009, Chapter 5, Section 37), eligible for studies leading to a doctoral degree in Finland shall be
- a person who has completed an applicable higher university or polytechnic degree,
- a person who has completed an applicable education abroad which in the awarding country gives eligibility for corresponding higher education,
- a person whom the university judges otherwise to have sufficient knowledge and skills for the studies.
The IMPDET applicants apply depending on their previous academic studies and research interests either to the Faculty of Science, Forestry and Technology (field of study: computer science) or to the Philosophical Faculty (field of studies: adult education, educational science, special education). Every doctoral student in UEF needs to belong to one of the UEF doctoral programmes. Since IMPDET itself is not an independent doctoral programme at UEF, the applicants have the following two options:
- Option 1: When the field of study is computer science, the applicant applies to the Doctoral Programme in Science, Technology and Computing (SCITECO) under the Faculty of Science, Forestry and Technology
- Option 2: When the field of study is adult education, educational science, or special education, the applicant applies to Doctoral Programme in Educational Sciences (KASVA) under the Faculty of Philosophy
The specific admission requirements for SCITECO and KASVA doctoral programmes can be found from the following links:
- SCITECO: https://www.uef.fi/en/degree-programme/doctoral-programme-in-science-technology-and-computing => Section: Eligibility and admission requirements
- KASVA: https://www.uef.fi/en/degree-programme/doctoral-programme-in-educational-studies => Section: Admission criteria