General information on doctoral studies in Finland
The following websites provide useful background information for potential IMPDET applicants about Finland, studying in Finland and UEF, and doctoral education at UEF.
First, it is important that the applicant’s research interests are aligned with the main research areas of the IMPDET studies:
- digital learning environments
- learning analytics, AI in education, and educational data mining
- VR/AR technologies in education
- design research in educational technology
- computing education
- computational thinking
- interactive technologies
- ICT for development
Second, the potential applicant should explore the research work carried out in the research groups, research communities, and research consortia linked to IMPDET studies. Therefore, the applicant should carefully explore the following websites:
- Technologies for Learning and Development research group at the School of Computing
- UEF Learning in Digitalized Society Research Community (DIGS)
- UEF Deep Learning Analytics Research Consortium
- Interactive Technologies research group at the School of Computing
Finally, before proceeding with the application process it is important to study the profiles of the main supervisors.
Phase 1: Preparation
In the preparation phase, the applicant’s background, motivation, and eligibility to pursue doctoral studies are evaluated. The applicant should send the following documents to the IMPDET coordinator:
- a copy of the basic university degree certificate, and other documents which may affect the granting of a study right,
- a transcript of earlier academic records,
- a preliminary research plan, check the instructions for writing the research plan.
- evidence of English language skills
In the preparation phase, the faculty and doctoral programme (SCITECO or KASVA) to which the student will be applying is decided. Also, during the preparation phase, tentative supervisors will be agreed upon.
The applicants are in the preparation phase until their application has been evaluated in an admission meeting. In the admission meeting, the faculty staff working with the IMPDET studies make a decision regarding the continuation of the application process.
There are three options for how the application process will continue after the admission meeting:
1) Option 1: the applicant is able to apply. The next step is to proceed with the application process, see Phase 3: Final preparation and submission
2) Option 2: the applicant needs to provide more evidence regarding the level of academic skills, eligibility, motivation, etc. to complete IMDPET studies, see Phase 2: Refinement
3) Option 3: the applicant is not able to apply. The application process is terminated.
Phase 2: Refinement
In the refinement phase, the applicants need to provide more evidence about their eligibility to pursue IMPDET doctoral studies. Another purpose of the refinement phase is to help the applicants to focus and clarify the research plan, as well as to ensure that the research topic is relevant and suitable for IMPDET studies.
During the refinement phase, the applicant and tentative supervisor(s), for example, write a joint scientific article related to the research topic of the applicant. The supervisors can have specific requirements, which need to be met before the applicant can proceed to the final phase.
There are two options for how the application process will continue after the refinement phase:
1) Option 1: the applicant is able to apply. The next step is to proceed with the application process, see Phase 3: Final preparation and submission.
2) Option 2: the applicant is not able to apply. The application process is terminated.
Phase 3: Final preparation and submission
In the final phase, the doctoral student application is prepared and submitted. The applicant needs to follow the application procedures of the doctoral programme in which the application is submitted.
Application instructions for the SCITECO programme can be found here: https://www.uef.fi/en/degree-programme/doctoral-programme-in-science-technology-and-computing, Section How to Apply? => Application instructions.
Application instructions for the KASVA programme can be found here, https://www.uef.fi/en/degree-programme/doctoral-programme-in-educational-studies, Section How to apply?
All supervisors need to give written consent which is included in the application documents. At least one UEF professor from the Faculty where the applicant is applying needs to be on the supervision team.