Application and selection
About the 2021 Course: This edition of the course will be taking place online. Part 1 consists of 10 Webinars that are open to the public. You can register by clicking ‘Register’ on the PDF ‘The-Post-2020-Biodiversity-Agenda-Webinar-Series, linked below. The instructions for applying for Part 2, training on MEA negotiations can be found below, including the application links.
Please note that the deadline to apply Part 2 has been extended until 26 August 2021.
Who can apply?
The Course is intended for experienced government officials engaged in international environmental negotiations. Also representatives of non-governmental organizations and representatives from the private sector may apply. In addition, researchers and academics in the field of international environmental law are also welcome to apply to the Course.
The course will be held in English. Therefore, a good command of English is a prerequisite for attending the course.
How To Apply – Online Application form
The applications will be submitted through an online application platform, which will be opened once the application period for the next course has been opened. Only applications submitted within the application period will be considered. Please note that once submitted no changes can be made to the online application. If you wish to amend an error in the submitted application, please contact the course administration: mea-course(at)uef.fi.
1. Click here for the Application website, or manually type the webpage into the browser:
2. Fill in the online application form. Make sure you fill in all the required information, incomplete applications will not be considered. Please send information only once.
3. Please indicate whether or not you are applying for a fellowship. Note that fellowships are granted only for applicants from developing countries and from countries with economies in transition. (Step not applicable for 2021 online course)
4. Submit your application by the deadline (extended to 26 August 2021).
5. Please note that after clicking “sign up” you have submitted the application. It is not possible to save and return to the application at a later time.
6. After clicking “sign up”, within 1 hour you should receive a confirmation email to the email address you provided.
Fellowships and expenses
Please note that the 2021 course will taking place fully online. Due to these special circumstances, tuition fees are not being charged nor are fellowships being provided this year.
Participants are expected to pay their travel and other expenses and a tuition fee of 1000 EUR. Candidates from developing countries and from countries with economies in transition can apply for a full or partial fellowship. Please indicate whether you are applying for a full or partial fellowship directly in the online application form.
There are only a limited number of full and partial fellowships available. The organizers encourage candidates to find external funding for their participation.
- The full fellowship covers necessary travel expenses to the country where the course is held, accommodation incl. breakfast at the hotel, and the tuition fee.
- The partial fellowship covers accommodation incl. breakfast at the hotel, and the tuition fee, but does not cover travel expenses to the country where the course is held.
However, participants with a full or partial fellowship are still expected to cover minor expenses by themselves that arise from e.g. meals outside the course programme.
- Self-funded participants cover their own expenses (travel, tuition fee, accommodation).
Activities listed on the agenda are however covered by the tuition fee (e.g. meals, airport pickup, transportation during the course, excursions and accommodation during the excursions are included in the tuition fee).
Approximately 30 participants, with an equal distribution from the North and South and taking into account gender balance as a matter of principle will be admitted to the Course. Participants having successfully completed the Course will be awarded a Diploma.
1. We will announce on the course website when we have finalized our selection.
2. If you are selected to the Course, we will send you a personal invitation letter via email.
3. If you do not receive a personal invitation, this means that you were not selected, after the selection process you will receive an email that you have not been selected.
Note that we receive approximately 200-500 applications each year, and thus we kindly ask you to be patient with the outcome of the selection.
Selection process starts immediately after the deadline has closed. However, please note that the selection process will take its time – we reserve for at least four-six weeks to finalize the selection. The applicants will be informed as soon as the selection process is complete.
Note also that only those who are selected to join the course will be informed of the selection personally via email. However, the information on the finalized course selection will also be put to the course webpage.
The selected participants are required to confirm their participation in order to enable the Course organizers to make the necessary arrangements. The confirmation is conclusive. If a selected participant does not wish to participate to the Course, the place will be given to an another applicant. It is therefore important that the selected participants either confirm their participation in due time or inform the Course organizers about the rejection of the offered place on the course or about other possible problems in attending the Course.